Friday 8 June 2012

New Environments & Comfort

'Allo Earthlings! I have been away [from my liar] for 2 weeks now, and tomorrow I'm going home!


You know something earthlings? Staying in a new or different environment for some while is actually good for you. The first few days that I was here, I direly missed home. I missed everything about my habitat. My shaggy disoriented room, my variety of yellow and bage socks, my late night eating weird habits and even my not so frequent brawls with my brother. 


I definitely love my comfort zone but I came to realize that it is alright to feel uncomfortable. Our mental states are very fragile when exposed to a new environment. That does not mean that our mental states are 'angry' about new environments? They just need some time to adjust.As a creative person, as a business person, partner and most importantly a learner, you are not new to different environments. As contradictory as that sounds, it means that you have gone through a lot of experiences that have made you learn about yourself, others and even things inanimate. New environments and the discomfort they bring only bring out the learners in us. 

The more comfortable you get in your daily schedules, the more concerned you are supposed to be. The human mind likes a challenge. It's not new to you that a lazy brain doesn't come up with any ideas. If you get out of that comfort zone once in a while, you get to see the world with a different perspective. A different perspective is just the basis of new and fresh ideas. Get out once in a while, hear what people have to say, listen to the wind and do different things like going to an ethnic restaurant and order the most 'ethnic' dish.

This week, I've learnt to listen more. I will continuing to implement what I've learnt as I go back home. Either way, I miss coming home from school, removing my brassiere and bursting into a Kikuyu Sunday School song and laughing like a mental case! Next week I will be making a To Not Do List rather than my usual To Do List. I'm taking baby steps with this Uncomfortability thing. I will not be jetting out to Fiji spontaneously when I'm supposed to be in my Business Math lecture. Well, not that I think of currently.


Well, I might just put it in mind 

Have a lovely time,
Siri.


No comments:

Post a Comment