Saturday 2 June 2012

Mind Your Business


 I wrote this a while ago during my Spring Break and found it under New File under New File of Siri's Archives, and thought to share it. Here you go:

As I type this, I am watching my small cousins play from a distance. I have taken a god-like position as I passively baby-sit these babies from the balcony, sipping my freshly squeezed lemonade. Baby-sit, anyone? OK. Moving on, I am not very kid-friendly, but I can handle what is required to be done. Today I have taken note of their mature behavior which I bet they hardly notice. They really do not care about what they are supposed not to care about. Why do I say that this is a mature behavior? It is because grown folk should do this but they end up not doing it. 


"Nosy adults!"


They are supposed to care for what is worth their time and other such related dynamics. That roughly means family, friends, work and their well-being. You and I both know that this is exactly what happens in a model world somewhere, but not frequently on Planet Earth.

I have slantingly noticed that most people tend to mind other people's businesses. Somewhere sometime, I believe that you have witnessed people [if not yourself] minding other people's businesses. This is done universally if not gallactically [Aliens are pretty nosy. Literally. I watch TV]. It does happen in various forms, and the two ways which I have observed are: gossip and judgement. I will briefly elaborate this just to make this post seem lengthy, and just maybe relevant.

1.) Gossip
I will not Google this word because it is not as fun as it was when people thought Google was an 88 year old clever Widower from Britain, who retired somewhere in Githunguri to teach English. Gossip needs no introduction to the human beings as it is currently taken up as a talent and even worse, by impulse. Gossip is an age-old solution to the problem of boredom. If boredom was not the problem, it was driven by lack. Lack of things other people had; envy. That has always been a conversation starter/ ice-breaker in whatever context. 


For example, Mama Joji [her neighbours in Githunguri are not fans of Western names. Yes, they just aren't!] was bought for a customized probox by her husband, Baba Joji. First, 'customized' in this context means it came with a speed governor and second, it better have been from Baba Joji. Baba Ninja [it's a boy!] has been darting his eyes around the areas that her leso sway and well, Mama Joji has that female instinct: Noticing things very quickly. So as Mama Daudi and Joy, the lady who thinks 32 is the new 19 and a half try to understand the new jargon Mama Joji has been using in the Women's Merry-Go-Round meeting that include words like parking, 'oiro', hiking petrol-prices and 'shockomsoba' [Shock-absorber], they watch her drive off, leaving a what they thought intentional smoke to speedily kill them so that they do not enjoy future cars from their husbands. They then unleash, yes the talk of the year.

"Joji hata Hajamaliza University! Joining the army was a clever way to hide those genes of stupidity that his mother passed on to him."
"I know! Baba Joji angejua! If he knew how Mama Joji agrees to be looked at by Baba Ninja's eyes! Hajui!"

For the keen readers, you noticed the audacious use of gossip that I did in the example above. That is just proof that gossip can easily be taken up. And just like any other skill, after a little practice, it definitely becomes perfect.

2.) Judgement
It is easy to judge others after taking one jab of judgement at them. Often, we find ourselves not comfortable with what others do or even say. From these points, we judge the sacks out of them! While judging others deeds and actions in the name of giving our opinions or the 2 cents they did not necessarily ask for, we mind their business. This is done by statements like this:
"I was just minding my business and I realized that you do this and that in a way I do not really agree with..."

Hold it! Have you just said that you were minding YOUR business then gave me your opinion on things related to MY business? How coy a sentence starter! That is arrogantly assuming that others asked for your 2 cents, which they did not ask for and therefore do not need. Harsh but true.


It may prove just a tad bit hard not to want to listen to the nosy neighbour's bathroom incident but you have succumbed much more tempting things. Like wanting to pound the character who decided to spell the word 'Riddimz' with two letter D's [face-palm]. 
         Have a lovely week, 
Siri.

2 comments:

  1. As with anything, gossip may start out harmless, but will eventually leave people hurt. I must confess, I enjoy a little gossip now and then, but I am trying to stop engaging in gossip that may be slanderous or harmful to other people. I liked this post and even though I can't speak Swahili, I could imagine the gossipers looking after the lady's exiting taillights and talking about her...mainly just to make themselves feel better. Thanks for the great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou very much @Petite Diva. I agree with you that everything is good in small portions.

    ReplyDelete